Last night’s Class of Wine was really terrific. Our front-of-house manager Caitlin Harrison was entertaining, engaging and full of beans. Oh, and, information. Lots of it. A ridiculous fount of knowledge regarding wine. She talked about vineyards she’s visited, winemakers she works with, a sense of place, outdated wine expressions, the varietals that make up the Mezze wine list and why we should not smell wine like it’s a baby’s diaper. That’s right. No holding back when sticking your nose in the glass. Get it in there and go deep.
The food was fantastic and paired perfectly with the wine selections. Following is a lineup of what we tasted:
* Housemade Fries with Garlic Aioli paired with Cremant d’Alsace | 2007 Albert Boxer | Alsace, France
* Housemade Lardo on Rye Toast paired with Clos de la Vierge | 2009 Barrere | Jura, France
* Housemade Pork Pate with Caramelized Shallots paired with Les Pierres Girard | Domaine de la Bergerie | Anjou, Loire Valley, France
* Bone Marrow with Gremolata paired with L’uva Arboisana Rouge | Domaine de la Tournelle | Jura, France
* Mini Bistro Steak with Crimini Mushroom paired with Prieler (Blaufrankisch) | Bergenland, Austria
* Housemade Beef Sausage + Potato Puree paired with Dehesa La Granja (Tempranillo) | Ribera de Duero, Spain
This event was a very fun experience and a great way to meet like-minded wine lovers. And, we’re going to do it again. As much as possible.
So… if you’re interested in A Class of Wine at Mezze Bistro + Bar, gather up 8 to 12 friends and give a holler to Caitlin to let her know some dates that might work for your group. Six wines paired with six delicious foods for $40 per person (not including tax + gratuity.) We’re hosting private wine tastings on Mondays through Thursdays. Weekend wine classes are available on a limited basis.
Call Caitlin at 413.458.0123 for more info or to book A Class of Wine with some friends.
Photo credits Angela Cardinali